1. Radar – Whilst wandering around and seeing places I want to go to in the future. I open Foursquare, find the venue in the ‘places nearby’ list, and then tap the big ‘+ SAVE’ button. Then next time I’m close to it, it’ll get a ping.
2. Plan your next trip – Going to a new city that you have never been to before can be a bit daunting so why not plan some places you would like to go based on popular Foursquare check-ins! Why not have a go yourself.
3. Levelling up – It just feels good to move up a little bit!
4. To look up an address – When meeting a friend and it’s a new place that I haven’t visited become I usually check Foursquare to make sure I’m in the right place because Foursquare displays the street address at each venue so I know I’m checking-in to the right place.
5. To earn points and play the game – Foursquare gives you points each time you check-in and more points if it’s a new venue. I can even check the leader board to see how I’m doing each week compared to your friends and try and earn more badges.
6. To see what trending places are nearby – Bored? Check Foursquare to see what’s happening!
7. To show off and let your friends know what an awesome time you’re having – It’s sad, but true. Aren’t half the updates you see on Facebook about how awesome people’s lives are anyways? Using Foursquare is no different just checkin and don’t worry!
8. To stall for time – When meeting friends out, there’s always the one friend who’s punctual while the rest are just “five to ten minutes away.” Checking-in to foursquare gives you something to do while you wait for the friends who are actually fifteen to twenty minutes away.
Businesses should love Foursquare because…
9. Increased Brand Awareness – Not only does Foursquare offer another means of being found by your potential customers, but many Foursquare users share their check-ins on Facebook and/or Twitter, exposing your brand to their entire social networks.
10. Recommendations from Friends – Foursquare users can do more than simply check in; they can leave “tips” for other Foursquare users. They might mention your company’s great customer service, or prices, or a particular product you carry.
11. Foursquare can Increase Sampling – A really nice feature of Foursquare is the ability to offer Deals for checking in. The most basic Deal is offered just for checking in the first time. Your deal might be 10% the total purchase, or buy 2 get 1 free, or maybe a free gift…it’s up to you!
12. Foursquare can Lead to Walk-ins – Location-based social media is all about searching for places to visit. By having a prominent Foursquare presence, you dramatically increase your chances of attracting walk-in customers who otherwise may never have visited you.
13. Foursquare is Free – Setting up your Foursquare profile, and offering Deals, is completely free. Well…mostly. There is absolutely no monetary charge, but it does take some time to set everything up. You will want to consider whether you have the resources in-house to handle this, or if you want to hire an agency to do this for you.
14. Get found on Foursquare – Many brands and business locations don’t know that Foursquare users use the tool to find local businesses. Instead of using Google maps, users turn to Foursquare’s powerful geo-location based service to search for businesses
15. Engage Your Foursquare Users – Beyond coupons or shouts, brands can drive customer engagement by interacting with users live while they are at a particular location.
16. Let Foursquare Tips and Reviews Help Generate Buzz –Foursquare allows its members to leave tips for other members when they sign in to a location. People are more likely to trust reviews from other people who have visited your business.